Sunday 20 December 2009

x My little port x

I did it!! I actually went ahead and had my operation for my port!! I know its not a major operation and its fairly easy to do but im quite proud of myself for agreeing to it and actually going through with it. I didnt sleep at all wednesday night due to nerves and then everyone started turning up at my door from 8am onwards. First the anesthetist lady turned up at 8am to ask me questions and tell me what would happen and she was lovely but then the surgeons registrar came in to talk about the procedure. He kept talking about me having it put in my arm and i started to panic as i wanted it in my chest. I know some people have it in their arm but because of my struggle with weight, there is a risk of it pushing through the skin and coming out your arm - no thank you!! Thankfully, Lance came in and saved the day by demanding i had it in my chest. He actually looked really angry with him and if i hadnt have been so scared and drained of any sense of humour im sure i would have laughed!! The surgeon came up and he was lovely and agreed the chest is an easier place and he was very happy to do it there.
I had to change into a lovely backless number which touched the floor lol and then was collected at quarter-past 9 by a porter who wheeled me down in my bed to theatre, along with mummy and lance of course. At this point I said i couldnt do it but they didnt listen to me and connected the drip to my line. First the painkiller is pushed in and then the anesthetic, however, i was told that i made them all laugh because the painkiller started to go in and i fell asleep before the anesthetic went near me. I dont remember anything apart from feeling very lightheaded for 2 seconds and then waking up in recovery.

First thing was me asking for a drink as my mouth was soooo dry and then Lance turned up to get me - typical Lance first words were: "How does your new peg feel?" and which point i promtly and loudly told him to piss off!! Mummy was waiting for me on the ward and then Daddy turned up and then Scott came after work. I had lots of texts, phone calls and emails from people asking me if it went ok which i tried to answer as soon as possible. I had been back on the ward 10 minutes when Lance came to rip out my line as i no longer needed it in my arm and change the dressing over my port as the needle wasnt protected. These both really hurt!!


Me waking up looking very attractive!

I had an xray as soon as i came back and it showed that i had a numothorax, which is trapped air in my lung as far as i have been told. It is small so i have been put on loads of oxygen to try and blast it out. Highly annoying as its a mask with a big tube so all weekend i have looked quite like a baby elephant, a smelly one at that as it is hard to wash at the moment.

The next day was very sore and i slept alot because of the painkillers and the swelling and bruising had began to show. Now it is a few days after the operation and im doing ok. Still sleeping alot which is annoying but ive stopped the painkillers and am trying to manage on just regular paracetamol. Still sore and stiff but thats to be expected for a while. Am going home tomorrow so cannot wait but am NOT looking forward to seeing Lance - he is going to take off the dressings and take the needle out my port and i have already been warned that it will hurt!!


Me with my trunk and port which is covered


Am glad most of it is over now and surely (in the words of D: Ream) things can only get better!! Thanks to everyone for your messages and to some CF people who have given me much needed advice!

1 comment:

  1. hey glad it went ok. Although cant believe you had to go on oxygen afterwards, ive only ever needed it for a few hours after. Welcome to the port club! xx

    ReplyDelete